Monday, August 12, 2013

A very successful kayak trip

Sunday, August 4, 2013

I met Jim Harris at Russell Park about 6:30 a.m.  I’d brought along my thermarest, a thin inflatable sleeping pad that I thought I’d try sitting on while kayaking in hopes that my sciatic issues wouldn’t bother me.  I was not very confident.

We paddled down river for about 50 minutes before pulling out at the SR 422 bridge where there is a bar/restaurant and canoe livery.  I was feeling good to that point and was starting to think the pad might work.  We spoke to the owner and discovered they were once again serving breakfast on the weekends and told her the next trip we’d have our wallets and get something to eat.  They were doing extensive remodeling and trying hard to resuscitate the business.  It had offered canoe/kayak rental for years before ending that part of the business several years ago and it is good to see it up and running again.  The more people kayaking on the Upper Cuyahoga, the better.  The river needs advocates and those who use this magnificent stretch can’t help but become just that.

We continued down river for another 45 minutes before turning to head back.  The current was reasonably strong, which meant we spent considerably longer to return.  When we finally pulled out, I was supremely pleased to see that I’d been in a kayak for 3.5 hours and did so with relatively little discomfort.  Thermarest may have saved my butt…literally and suddenly I felt confidence in the kayaking portion of Tour Ohio.

Kayak duration:  Three hours and 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  1250.

No comments:

Post a Comment