Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Taper week begins...

Sunday, August 18, 2013
Though I’m officially in ‘taper week’ and doing much less of everything, John and I decided to get in another bike ride.  I do want to be active with the bike leading into the Tour so I don’t experience the cramping that happened on my last ride.  The forecast for the end of the week is hot and humid…not a good combination for the world’s sweatiest individual.

We rode the Waite Hill course, taking our time and enjoying the ride.  I feel no need to push hard and in fact am trying to make myself ride easier.  If I don’t dial back during Tour Ohio, I will never be able to ride 8 hours in a day – my goal.  I must be the tortoise to be successful. 

I’ve been eating anything and everything lately and had two cheeseburgers for dinner.  I’ve been losing weight and want to make sure I don’t go into the Tour too thin since I suspect I will lose weight during the trip.  Though I will be eating regularly throughout the day, I could be burning as much as 6,000 calories in a day, and that’s not easy to replace.  I can eat a lot, but I have found that exercise sometimes kills my appetite.  Still, a mound of pancakes every morning smothered in butter and topped with maple syrup sounds pretty good right now. 

Bike duration:  Two hours and 12 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1700.

No comments:

Post a Comment