Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Endoscopy...a little slice of heaven.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013
I managed to get an appointment for my endoscopy quickly and arrived at 8 a.m. for the procedure.  It took all of five minutes once they got me on the table, but I remember little after that until late afternoon.  I had some recollection of telling the nurse about Tour Ohio and how wonderful I was, but little else.  Holly filled me in when she came home from work.

“He said you have an ulcer in your small intestine and they took a biopsy to check for bacteria, too,” she said. 

An ulcer?  Me?  She needed to pick up my prescription since I wasn’t allowed to drive, ride my bike or much of anything.  In fact, I found out that she’d notified the neighbors to keep an eye on the garage and to make sure I didn’t try to slip out for a bike ride after she left.  I actually had considered it around 3 p.m., though I didn’t know the neighbors were watching and would have ratted me out. 

I received a call from Alaska Paul while she was out.  “How’s this for an idea.  We take the van and one of us drives to the camping spot we hope to reach that night and then rides back along the course to join the other two.  We alternate who drives ahead each day,” he said.

Normally I think Paul has dumbass ideas…but I had to stop a moment and think this one through.  “That actually might work except I’d never be able to drive since I have to ride every mile of the course,” I said.

I called Todd and told him Paul’s thoughts.  “I was thinking the same thing.  Did that once on a long trip and it worked out pretty well,” he said.

And that would work for the first 10 days.  After that, both of my fellow riders would have to be returning to Cleveland for other things.  I would either finish the ride with panniers, get other drivers, or stay in hotels for a couple of days.  The budget…non-existent…said ride with panniers. 

So…new challenges and new opportunities.  At least I’m getting closer to what ails me and maybe I’ll be able to fix it.  I’m waiting for the biopsy and I’ll be back to training tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment