Monday, August 19, 2013

Lots of weeds...

Saturday, August 17, 2013
Since I was going to be on the road for the next three weeks, I scheduled time with Mimi to try and catch up with the yard. 

Weeds.  They were everywhere, just loving the rainy summer.  She had been suffering with gout in her right hand and pulling weeds was practically impossible.  I had some concerns about poison ivy; not wanting to start my ride with blisters everywhere and so covered up well and sprayed some poison ivy prevention stuff on any exposed skin.  I dove into the little arboretum we’d planted in her back yard and actually in the woods beyond the lawn.  The woods had decided to take it back and I spent two hours digging, pulling, and hacking to clear what had filled in.  There was loads of poison ivy and as I pulled the vines from the earth, knew that the dirt I was kicking up could land on me and transfer the oil it would take for another breakout.  I went in and scrubbed thoroughly on several occasions.

I worked until late afternoon and arrived back home with just enough time to prepare for Savannah’s farewell dinner.  She would be leaving for Columbus for her final year the following morning.  After dinner, I plugged in the movie ‘Field of Dreams’ for Holly’s dad and me.  It is such a wonderful film though I was surprised when both Jason and Holly joined us to watch.  I seem to forget that it’s not a baseball movie, but one of regrets, forgiveness, taking chances and the simple pleasures of life.  Everyone seems to love it and Holly’s dad was no exception.

So I had to settle for six hours of yard work for my workout.  There is still so much to do to be ready for the trip and I’m counting on my current condition as being good enough.  If not, I’ll ride my way into shape over the first 3-4 days of Tour Ohio.

Yard work duration:  Six hours.
Training Heart Rate:  80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1500.

No comments:

Post a Comment