Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mapping out the final leg of the cycling course...

Friday, August 2, 2013
I knew I needed to do at least one more trip to the western part of the state and a final reconnoiter of the route I would be riding.  I’d laid out something several weeks ago, but was unsatisfied with the route because of the high speed of the traffic on the primary route I’d traveled.  I felt if I looked at some of the County roads instead of the primary State routes, I might have better luck.   There is less traffic on the County roads, but the trade is usually poorer condition and less of a riding shoulder.

I drove to Oregon, Ohio, just east of Toledo where I met an old friend, Mike Searle.  Mike had been the manager of the Cleveland Athletic Club in the late ‘80’s and I had served as his Assistant Manager and Athletic Director.  We’d remained close over the years and he was interested in Tour Ohio and helping me pick a route that would take me safely around Toledo.  He’d grown up in this part of the state and knew the roads well. 

After two hours of pouring over maps and a great dinner at ‘The Freeway’, owned and operated by a high school buddy of Mike’s, I pushed on to find camping for the night.  I drove to Harrison Lake State Park where at 1 a.m., I pitched my tent, threw in my sleeping bag and crashed.  I had been in extreme discomfort throughout the drive from my aching left buttocks.  The pain was radiating down my leg and I was seriously questioning if I’d be doing any kayaking at all in seven days.  I’d scheduled a long kayak in the Upper Cuyahoga for Sunday morning as the final test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment