Monday, August 19, 2013

An easy walk through Gully Brook Park

Wednesday, August 14, 2013
An old friend from high school, Becky Shanks, was in town and we had coordinated a meeting in the Gully Brook Lake Metropark for a short hike before heading out to dinner.  Gully Brook is a newer park and small; about 170 acres with a 1.2-mile hiking trail.  Its size, and proximity to the North Chagrin Reservation, has prevented me from ever visiting it.  It was convenient to Becky and her husband, who was not feeling particularly well and didn’t want to walk too far.

It was a pleasant hiking trail, but I quickly noticed I was being attacked by biting insects about the size of a black fly.  And they were relentless.  I smashed about twenty or so all over my body as a warning to those who would follow, but they never got the message and kept biting the entire walk.  Neither Becky nor her husband, Glenn, were being bothered.

“I’m a bug magnet.  Always have been.  Walking with me is better than applying bug spray,” I said.

We finished the hike in about 30 minutes, walking slowly to give the bugs maximum feeding time and then drove to The Local Tavern where we met Holly and continued reminiscing about high school days, learning about what we’d done since that time and generally shooting the breeze.  In the end, there was no time for a workout though it doesn’t concern me.  I’ll be doing this and that over the next 10 days; just enough to be doing something but not enough to hurt myself.  I’m as ready as I’m going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment