Thursday, August 8, 2013

Small town, USA

Saturday, August 3, 2013

I slept about five hours and was packing up my gear in the early morning fog.  I was overlooking the lake on a campsite about the size of a Honda Civic and noticed a dead limb reaching out of the water and shrouded in fog.  It was quite eerie.

I began driving in the opposite direction I would be riding, heading west and south back towards the mid-point of the state and the place at which I felt I needed to find a safer route.  I drove through the tiny hamlet of West Unity and noticed a family diner open and serving breakfast.  I passed by and then did a U-turn thinking I’d skip Bob Evans, my normal breakfast destination, and look into the local diner.  I wasn’t disappointed.

I’ve been reading a book called ‘Over the Hills’, which is written by Pulitzer prize winner, David Lamb.  He decided, at age 55, that it might be a good idea to ride his bike from his home near Washington D.C. to the Pacific Ocean in California.  He began his trek with almost no conditioning and smoke and drank throughout the ride.  He got into shape as he rode and took his time throughout his journey, spending almost every night in a hotel and eating anything and everything.  He did make a point of spending time with the residents of the small towns through which he passed; getting their stories and their views on life in their towns.  I’ve been thinking that I should do the same on Tour Ohio and then write a best seller of my own…and if not a ‘best’ seller then maybe an ‘okay’ seller.  Something that sells, at least.

I went into the diner and found it populated by what looked to be a group of retired men, maybe eight of them, sitting at a long table and just chewing the fat.  I sat nearby and listened in until one of them asked if I was there for the garage sales.

“You know…I was about to ask what that’s all about,” I said having noticed about fifty homes with signs as I drove into town on US 127.

“Well son, they have this garage sale up and down US 127 and they say it’s the biggest garage sale in the world.  Been going on since Thursday and runs through tomorrow,” one of the diners explained.

I told them I was not there for the garage sales, though I love them, but instead was laying out the cycling course for Tour Ohio.  I’d brought a copy of the magazine article in with me in the event I’d be able to tell someone about it and passed it off telling them I’d be riding through in about 5 weeks.

“We’ll all read up on this and maybe get smarter,” the diner said.  I promised him I’d be back for breakfast when I rode through.  “And we’ll be here eating and talking…just like we are seven days a week starting a 5 a.m.,” he promised.

It was exactly the kind of experience I was looking for and hoping to have all over the state.  One of the diners mentioned the Fairgrounds outside of town and how they were pretty sure cyclists occasionally camped there when riding through.

“They let them do that?” I asked.

“Seems no one’s there to stop them or really much cares,” was the reply.

I spent the next 12 hours driving routes I hoped to ride.  I managed to find more cycling friendly roads, camping possibilities and other homey, small town communities all along the route.  I like the back roads for riding, though one really needs to visit them before expecting to ride them.  I discovered one county road was nothing more than some gravel between two fields of corn with grass growing up through it.  A sign that said ‘road closed when wet’ led me to believe it wouldn’t make a good cycling route.

I did have a relatively pain-free drive and was home in time to take Holly to the Palace theatre for a showing of the movie ‘Bonnie and Clyde’.  It was as bad as it had been when I’d seen it thirty some years ago, and we left early.  Age does not improve lots of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment