Thursday, August 8, 2013

Run/kayak double...

Thursday, August 1, 2013
I went to the park for a run knowing that I would be following it with a kayak trip.  I wanted the run because I’m trying to get in more workouts where I have to work against gravity.  Biking is great and does a wonderful job of building endurance and strengthening the legs, but the bike supports my weight and there is no impact.  Though I won’t be running during Tour Ohio, I will be working against gravity when walking and I need to do some pounding on them now. 

I felt strong throughout the 40-minute run and thought that if running was so easy, the first 10 miles a day of hiking would be, as well.  After that?  Blisters, rashes and sore feet will try to slow me down.

I got home, loaded the kayak on the Jeep and headed for the East Branch Reservoir.  I brought the camera and the binoculars, always hopeful for another eagle sighting.  My primary interest though was whether or how much pain I was going to suffer from my sore hip and into my left leg.  Driving and riding has been causing it to flare even more than before I began the stretching and strengthening exercises Nilesh prescribed, so I wasn’t very hopeful.

The water was high and the landscape serene.  I paddled on a mostly empty lake in search of eagles and hip pain.  I found the latter after 30 minutes but just kept paddling.  Through shifting and adjusting my position, I was able to paddle for 80 minutes of mild discomfort.  Paddling all day on Lake Erie in 10 days would be another, quite painful, matter I was sure.

I have to admit that I’m very concerned about the kayak leg of Tour Ohio.  I don’t want to jeopardize the rest of the trip by completely screwing up the sciatic nerve.  The pain and numbness affects my riding; something I can’t have.  I’ll do the first day of kayaking for the Tour and see where it takes me and how I’m feeling.  If it doesn’t work out, I’ll abort and wait to do it after the bike/hike portion of Tour Ohio when I’ll have seen what can be done medically.  I do want to at least give it a try, though.

Run duration:  40 minutes.  Kayak duration:  80 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm running and 90 bpm kayaking.
Calories burned during workout:  675 running and 500 kayaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment