Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Last ride...

Tuesday, August 20, 2013
John was coming over to do a final ride with me and leave me with ‘The Rocket’, his light-weight, carbon-fiber racing bike.  I was planning on bringing both Big Red and The Rocket in the van in the event I had issues with UB Express (bikes MUST be named).  My repair skills are limited, as are the opportunities to visit bike stores on the Tour, so the more I’m carrying as back up, the better.

We rode on the Waite Hill course, but John begged off having to climb the final hill from Squires Castle up to Chardon Road on River Road.

“That thing killed me Sunday.  Can we please skip it?” he asked.

“You need the conditioning.  If we skip it, you’ll only regret it later,” I said, trying to shame him into riding it.

In the end, I let him off easy and skipped the hill, shortening the ride by 4 miles.  We arrived back home in under two hours and took a cleansing dip in the neighbor’s pool before moving inside to make another amazing smoothie.  I wish I had an extra blender for the trip.  I’d pack it in the van, put smoothie ingredients in a cooler and whip one up at the end of each day.  Maybe next time.

After John left, I returned to my maps and computer and put the final touches on the cycling course.  Tomorrow – packing begins in earnest.

Bike duration:  One hour and 53 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1650.

No comments:

Post a Comment