Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Final planning and packing...

Friday, August 9, 2013
I knew what the day held for me and doubted I’d get in a workout of any kind, though that wasn’t the worst thing in the world when considering my itinerary for the next two days.  I’ll admit to be apprehensive.  My first concern was the lake conditions, which are completely unpredictable and could easily thwart my efforts.  The second was the piriformis sciatic pain I’d been getting from being in the kayak for extended periods of time.  Though the thermarest had helped on the last trip, I wasn’t convinced it would serve to keep me going for eight hours.  Finally, I was worried about the second day and whether I’d have a support boat or not. 

Marla Zwinngi and I met with Positively Cleveland in the late afternoon to solicit their support and help with forwarding the mission of Ohio Active, our web-based magazine.  From there, I hurried home to do more packing for the weekend kayak trip, including putting the racks on the van and strapping the kayak on.  Then it was off to Heidi’s art show in the Tremont district where we stayed until 10 p.m.  Once home, I put the final touches on my packing going over my supply list three times to be sure I forgot nothing.  I had to be up by 3:30 a.m. to drive to Lorain where I would meet up with my nephew, Nathan, and leave the van as our take-out point, a distance of roughly 35 miles from Sandusky Bay and one I could cover only if conditions were perfect.  If they weren’t, we’d move to plan B which hadn’t been completely formulated yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment